If you assume the HomePod places out sound that is too bass-heavy, you’ll be able to make changes to the EQ … in case you are listening thru AirPlay.
I’m vastly inspired with the sound high quality produced by way of HomePod. Its talent to fill a room — to make it nearly appear as even though track is taking part in throughout me — is a feat of technological development this is completely astounding.
That being mentioned, the HomePod’s fine-tuning suffers from that unnatural bass equalization that to some makes for higher intensity, however to others sounds just a little muddy.
If you might be of the latter camp, there may be now not so much you’ll be able to do when listening to track at once from your HomePod, but if AirPlaying, you might have a large number of choices for adjusting the equalization, including in just a little extra of the ones highs to steadiness out the sound.
- How to adjust the EQ of the HomePod when AirPlaying from an iPhone or iPad
- How to adjust the EQ of the HomePod when AirPlaying from a Mac
- What the EQ degree changes do
- Third-party EQ choices
How to adjust the EQ of the HomePod when AirPlaying from an iPhone or iPad
If you might be AirPlaying at once from your iPhone or iPad, by the use of iTunes or Apple Music, you’ll be able to adjust the equalization the use of a handful of presets.
Note: The EQ adjuster does now not paintings after you could have begun AirPlaying track to your HomePod, so set the EQ prior to you turn to HomePod.
- Begin taking part in track from your iPhone.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll down and faucet EQ below the Playback menu.
Select a preset. If you might be making an attempt to cut back the heavy bass, I like to recommend both Bass Reducer or Treble Booster, however you’ll be able to mess around with the presets to get your splendid steadiness.
- AirPlay to your HomePod.
The new EQ preset will save on your iPhone and can at all times be used when AirPlaying from the Music app on your iPhone or iPad. To trade the preset, you’ll be able to apply the steps above, however the audio may not trade till you prevent AirPlaying after which get started AirPlaying once more.
Note: Many third-party track streaming products and services, like Spotify and Tidal, have their very own in-app equalizers you’ll be able to use to adjust your ranges.
How to adjust the EQ of the HomePod when AirPlaying from a Mac
When AirPlaying from a Mac, you might have extra regulate over the equalization changes thank you to the Equalizer.
- Launch iTunes on your Mac.
- Click on Window in the app menu bar.
To make a selection a preset, click on on the dropdown menu. If you might be making an attempt to cut back the heavy bass, I like to recommend both Bass Reducer or Treble Booster, however you’ll be able to mess around with the presets to get your splendid steadiness.
To adjust the EQ manually, drag the dB sliders up or down to swimsuit your steadiness. A brief figuring out of the EQ “knobs” is that the sliders to the left are all of the low-end and bass changes whilst the sliders to the proper are the high-end and treble changes. For extra detailed data, stay studying.
What the EQ degree changes do
Thank goodness my school classes are after all paying off (I if truth be told had to pull out my outdated textbook for this). The Equalizer adjusts the frequency you listen. The decrease frequencies trade the low-end whilst the upper frequencies trade … you guessed it … the excessive finish.
- 32Hz – 0 – 60Hz covers the very lowest finish of the frequency spectrum. It’s referred to as the Sub Bass and when boosted, it will increase the thickness of such things as the kick drum, bass, and the lower-end notes in different tools.
- 64Hz – The Bass frequency improves the sound of toms, deep tools, and a track’s backside finish. With each the 32 and 64Hz sliders up, you can be surroundings the EQ for a thicker sound higher suited to dance track (really feel the beat).
- 125Hz – Once you get above 100Hz, you might be entering the mid frequencies. Keep those sliders someplace in the center for the perfect steadiness of sound. It makes guitars and the drum’s snare extra pronounced and provides an total “onerous” sound to a track. Punk rockers historically set their guitar amps to spice up the mids.
- 250Hz – Though this may be a part of the midrange frequency, you can use it sparingly. It boosts vocals and makes guitars sound thicker. It too can make your total sound just a little muddy, so do not push this degree too excessive.
- 500Hz – Another mid differ degree. It’ll give just a little of punch to your track, boosting upper finish sounds whilst nonetheless keeping up a few of the low-end. It can pull out bass notes whilst retaining the remainder of the audio transparent.
- 1KHz – This phase begins the easiest a part of the mid-range degree. It may also be described as “tinny” when you use an excessive amount of of it. It provides just a little extra presence to such things as vocals and piano.
- 2KHz – The 2KHz phase begins the high-mid frequencies. It’s perfect for giving sound extra of an assault. It provides just a little of crunch to your total sound. Works smartly with guitar-heavy track and begins the results of boosting the treble.
- 4KHz – When adjusting the ranges right here, you can be punching the upper ranges and in reality hanging the assault into the toms and makes acoustic track clearer. It’ll additionally upload some sharpness to digital tools.
- 8KHz – Once you get to the excessive differ frequencies, you might be coping with all highs. It’ll punch up such things as crash symbols and excessive pitch tools like trumpets, flutes and the like. When you max out this and the 16KHz ranges, the whole thing else will get pulled into the background.
- 16KHz – At the easiest differ frequencies, you might be boosting the easiest pitches in track, like crash symbols, piccolos, violins, and such. Too a lot boosting on this space may just lead to a hissing sound in your track, so use it sparingly.
The maximum essential factor to find out about equalization frequencies is that it is OK to mess around with it. You wouldn’t have to be a valid engineer to simply pay attention and adjust.
Third-party EQ choices
You wouldn’t have to keep on with the equalization choices Apple will provide you with. You can check out a number of EQ apps to lend a hand set the proper ranges.
Airfoil for Mac
Another explanation why to personal Airfoil is it is integrated EQ options. What makes Airfoil stand out is that the EQ choices are mapped to the AirPlay audio, now not the Mac, so whilst you adjust ranges from Airfoil, the adjustments will happen on your HomePod.
It works with Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, YouTube, QuickTime, and some other audio supply you pay attention to. Start streaming audio, AirPlay it to your HomePod (and some other AirPlay instrument you need), after which adjust the equalization for no matter you might be taking part in.
Airfoil prices $29, however you’ll be able to obtain a unfastened trial to see if it is value your cash (it’s).
- $29 – Download at Rogue Amoeba
EQu for iPhone and iPad
Note: There are recently no third-party apps that improve EQ adjustment of Apple Music content material (whether or not downloaded or now not), so in case you are a heavy Apple Music consumer, you must keep on with Apple’s integrated EQ presets.
There are a lot of other equalizer apps for iPhone and iPad, however I landed on the $2.99 EQu app as my private favourite as a result of the drag-to-adjust EQ ranges. While track is taking part in, contact the crimson frequency line on the EQ show and drag the curve up or down to adjust the ranges. Refer to my details about the Equalizer ranges to get an concept for what you need to do.
This app makes use of track from your iTunes Library (bought or ripped track, now not Apple Music) that has been downloaded to your iPhone. So, you can desire a powerful library to make this acquire value the (very low) worth.
For $1.99 extra, you’ll be able to obtain an in-app model of TuneIn radio (you’ll be able to’t merely attach to your personal TuneIn app, sadly, due to Apple restrictions) and pay attention to native and international radio stations thru EQu with the talent to set the equalization of no matter you might be listening to.
- $2.99 Download now
Do you might have any questions on surroundings the EQ for Airplaying track to your HomePod? Put them in the feedback and I’m going to permit you to out.